Thursday, August 22, 2013

Back to School Outfits!

I recently posted a video with my sister on my YouTube called The Common White Girl TAG. The last question - do you always look presentable? - made me rant a little about how a lot of girls in the beauty community have been making back to school videos of outfits that aren't exactly practical to wear to school. So as I'm uploading it I went straight to the internet to put together outfits that I would personally wear to school and I thought I'd share it with you.
Obviously this is my own style and won't apply to everyone and everything is optional. I also decided not to put in any brands unless I thought the specific piece was a good price because I want you to be able to find your own stuff and put your own style to it. 
I think a scarf is a great accessory to play up any outfit and make it different. Open sweaters and cardigans are also a staple in my wardrobe because they're great for cooler days, and you can throw it over a tank top to make it more appropriate for school. Leopard print flats are also great because they add some extra pattern to an outfit and consist of neutral colors that can go with almost anything.
Obviously this outfit is based around the military jacket. I think if you wanted it to be more of a focal point you could ditch the necklace and/or earrings. When choosing the shirt I initially picked one with black stripes. But after I wanted the shoes to be red I went with navy stripes. I think blue and red tie in really nicely together as you remember from the nautical trend. Lastly, I picked the cuffed jeans to add a little more detail on the bottom so it would be balanced with the jacket. (I found this jacket on old navy's website; only $40 for a great jacket!)
One of my favorite things to wear to school are v-neck sweaters and black leggings. This pair is comfy, cute, and flattering! Black is slimming as well as v-necks. To dress this up a bit I added a floral scarf, awesome boots and this cute studded watch (which is only $10 at Charlotte Russe!)
This outfit is for lazy days. The cropped jeans are basically if you want to rule out the sweater when it's a warmer day, and if you want to be more lazy, you can replace them with leggings. I saw this cardigan and fell in love with the pattern and the style, so I knew I had to use it. The only thing is that looking for something like this can be really hard and they always come out expensive. Graphic tees are always cheap and easy to find at places like Target and Wal-Mart. As for the moccasins; they can get destroyed really fast, so I'd recommend waiting until Payless brings some out or go hunting at Target or Wal-Mart. Buying expensive moccasins is NOT worth it!
Anyways, let me know what outfits you'll be wearing for this coming school year and what you're looking forward to for fall! (I'm definitely excited for Pumpkin spice Lattes!)
x Emily

1 comment:

  1. Those are so cute! I love the first and third one! I hope you'll have a chance and stop by my blog. All about Beauty. Life. and DIY. If you ever have an OTD, LOTD, hair or nail tutorial, or a fun fashion DIY, I'd love for you to share it at "That's my Style" Link party TOMORROW (every Friday). Don't have anything to share? Stop by anyway for beauty tutorial and fun DIY projects. Hope to see you there. :)

    Karla @ www.MySerendipitousLife.com

    ReplyDelete