Sunday, August 11, 2013

Three Of My Favorite Books

So I've been sitting in my room all day just wanting to do a blog post, but not sure what to do it on. And then I look over and see that the answer was right in front of me. I've been re-reading on of my favorite books recently and figured I'd tell you lovelies what my favorite books are!
The one I'm reading right now is by Lauren Oliver. It's called Before I Fall. I've had this book for a while and this is about the third time I've read it.
Before I Fall is about a girl named Samantha Kingston (or Sam for short). She's a senior in high school and has three best friends, two parents and a little sister. Throughout the book you're constantly finding more and more about her life. But the big twist on this book is that it starts the day she dies and she forced to keep reliving the same day. This book consists of 470 pages. And it's all full of the secrets and stories of her life. You meet all her friends and find out about them also, along the way. It's really an amazing book that I'd recommend to anyone starting high school or in high school because it really shows all the dynamics that take place there. I'm not just specifically recommending this book to teenagers because of mature subject matter (it's definitely PG-13) but because it contains a message that I think is really great for a teenager to know.
Lauren Oliver is one of my favorite YA writers, and I read this before her Delirium trilogy came out - which consists of a world where love is a disease (also great books).
This next book is one I've only read once, but it was very recent and once I finished I knew it was immediately part of my favorites list. After reading The Fault in Our Stars I wanted to run right out and read another John Green book.
I'm sure you've all heard of this book by now, since it's being made into a movie (and if you haven't heard of John Green what are you doing with your life?!). This book is inspiring and awful and beautiful all at the same time (plus, I cried like 5 times).The Fault in Our Stars is centered around Hazel Grace who is battling a terminal cancer despite the medicine she's been given to stop her tumors from growing. One day in her support group she meets a boy by the name of Augustus Waters who had his leg amputated because of Osteosarcoma. Here's my review for this book on Goodreads: John Green points out all the obvious and brilliant things in our every day lives that we don't notice often. This book is life-changing. I feel like I see things a lot differently. Hazel Grace is the strongest head I've been inside (and not just because she's battling cancer); she's one to hold her own on any opinion, having cancer stops her from doing some things, but not quite everything. Meeting August doesn't change her; it makes her better. A MUST READ! I'd recommended to basically anyone. Even someone who doesn't necessarily like reading. Basically that's all I have to say about it. It's just a great book.
This next book is also one I've only read once, and it was a while ago. But when I started think of the books I was going to write about here, I knew this had to be one of them and now I want to read it again! You may have seen the movie, in which case: read the book it's so much better. This book is Nicholas Sparks', The Last Song.
Since I haven't read it in a while, I'm just going off what I remember to help explain why I love this book so much. This book is about Veronica Miller (but people call her Ronnie), her parents are divorced and she's not very close with her father. So her mother decides to send Ronnie to live with her father for a summer in Wilmington. Since this is a Nicholas Sparks book, obviously she eventually meets Will, and other events unfold in the little beach town of Wilmington. My favorite part about this book (excluding the love of course) is seeing the drama between Ronnie and her dad about music. He is a former concert pianist and she seemed to be following in his footsteps until her parents got divorced. I'd specifically recommend this to teenagers because Ronnie is a typical teenager, but I did read this book and grade 8 and enjoyed it a lot. This book also made me cry like a baby for reason I cannot say unless you want a spoiler!
I rated all these books 5 stars and Goodread and they all have a home on my favorites shelf there. You can add me as a friend on Goodreads to see all my shelves and know when I post a review or see what books I'm currently reading! 
I also just finished The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones but I felt like I couldn't put it in this post since I read it so recently. 
What are your favorite books?
x Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment